What is code review?
“Code review is a systematic examination (sometimes referred to as peer review) of computer source code. It is intended to find mistakes overlooked in the initial development phase, improving the overall quality of software. Reviews are done in various forms such as pair programming, informal walkthroughs, and formal inspections.”
So, what is required to be reviewed?
- Are there any obvious logic errors in the code?
- Looking at the requirements, are all cases fully implemented?
- Are the new automated tests sufficient for the new code? Do existing automated tests need to be rewritten to account for changes in the code?
- Does the new code conform to existing style guidelines?
- Is possible change this part of the implementation by an API method?
- Have a better way to implement it?
- Is the code clear? Can I read the code and understanding what it is doing?